If you possess a Master’s degree in the field of physics, engineering, space science, astronomy, and science in general, and you are interested in pursuing doctoral studies, you may apply to the scholarships funded by the administration through public calls. A brief description of each scholarship is provided to give an idea of the type of scholarship you may apply to depending on your personal and professional background.

It is highly recommended to carry out a PhD with the aid of a scholarship, fellowship or grant since universities and research institutes rarely offer research positions entirely funded on their own. If you are coming from abroad, take into consideration that grant resolutions may take several months and not always occur during the same time of the year as previous calls. In principle, scholarships assure 3 or 4 years of salary and registration fees for the PhD programs. 

PhD Thesis information for foreigners

If you are a foreign student interested in coming to Spain to carry out your PhD thesis, here are some tips that may come in hand when moving to the country and beginning your studies:
  1. Every foreigner that desires to come and obtain his or her degree in Spain must validate his or her most recent international degree (high school degree, Bachelors degree, Master's degree) through the Ministry of Education. The process you must follow to obtain your Spanish validated degree is called “Homologación de Título Extranjero”.
  2. Depending on the nationality of your degree, as a previous step, you will need to stamp your original degree with the Hague Apostille (Hague Convention – countries within the convention) and officially translate it into Spanish. 
  3. You do not need to have the validation of the degree finished by the time you begin your PhD thesis simply because the completion of the process can take from several months  to more than a year.
  4. Once you have begun the validation process, you are eligible to apply for national scholarships to carry out your PhD studies.
  5. Please note that if your degree does not fulfill the requisites of the official Spanish degree you are trying to validate it into,  you will need to take exams concerning the subjects – credits that have not been transferred. These exams are taken once you have started your postgraduate studies and the examination process is carried out by the university through which you are validating your degree.


FPI  (Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades)
The FPI scholarships are addressed to graduate students that would like to obtain their PhD degree in any field of knowledge. These scholarships are linked to specific research projects, which are supported financially by the “Plan Nacional de I+D+i”, amongst others. For more information on the program, application processes, deadlines and other details, please refer to: Programa de formación de doctores.

FPU  (Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades)
The FPU scholarships are addressed to graduate students that are interested in obtaining a PhD degree. These scholarships promote the teaching and research education within the personal researcher’s framework.This scholarship is an individual scholarship in contrast to the FPI scholarship, which is associated to research projects. For more information on the program, application processes, deadlines and other details, please refer to: Programa de becas FPU.

FI (Generalitat de Catalunya)
The FI scholarships are oriented essentially towards incorporating PhD students in official PhD programs with the objective of including them in individual research projects or in research groups that are developing R+D projects. In order to applied for this scholarship, the student must be enrolled in the research phase of a PhD program at the time of the grant acceptance. For more information on the program, application processes, requisites, deadlines and other details: Grants for the recruitment of early-stage research staff.

Generalitat de CatalunyaUniversitat de BarcelonaUniversitat Autònoma de BarcelonaUniversitat Politècnica de CatalunyaConsejo Superior de Investigaciones CientíficasCentres de Recerca de Catalunya